How to conduct successful Wi-Fi surveys
How to conduct successful Wi-Fi surveys
Wi-fi surveys have become an essential part of ensuring online access – something that every organisation needs to have. The process of carrying out Wi-Fi surveys has changed significantly over the years. Today, it’s not just about ensuring coverage but also looking in-depth at anything that could interfere with service, as well as the best places to install devices. These are the key steps that are involved in conducting successful Wi-Fi surveys.
- Establishing why the wi-fi survey is necessary (scope) – This is always the first step in any successful survey. If you’re implementing or refreshing your wireless LAN then a wi-fi survey will definitely be required. Creating the scope is the process of working out the requirements and objectives for your Wi-Fi and establishing where there might be any concerns that need to be investigated.
- Floor plans and access – Getting an idea of the scope and location of the Wi-Fi network is vital for an effective Wi-Fi survey, which is why a floor plan is crucial to the process. This will provide the opportunity to get a very clear idea of existing equipment and access points as well as analyse the current structure of existing Wi-Fi. If there is a need for any special access, protective clothing or equipment in order to get more information about the current situation then this is the point at which it will be discussed.
- Best locations for access points and antennas – The placement of Wi-Fi access points and antennas will have a big impact on how the business is able to access the service overall – so this is a key stage in a successful Wi-Fi survey. Doing this in detail will mean that maximum coverage can be achieved and the best possible performance enjoyed. AP models and types will be determined as part of the process.
- Ensuring infrastructure connectivity – Where there is a pre-existing wired network it will be an important part of the process to look at how APs are going to be integrated into that current architecture. It’s vital to spend time on this so that there are no issues with infrastructure connectivity further down the line. When it comes to new requirements, make sure you get more specifics on the time required for installation as this can vary widely, depending on factors such as the requirements of the job and also your location.
- Optimum network design – Another purpose of a successful Wi-Fi survey is to help ensure that any previous network issues aren’t ongoing problems. The survey will include looking at every detail of the network and building design and investigating the quality and type of the existing network connection to ensure that you get the results that you want.
- Testing, testing, testing – The key to ensuring that the Wi-Fi survey is accurate will be the process of testing. This not only highlights any problems but also looks at how fit for purpose existing infrastructure is and what changes might be required for the business.
SADS IT Wi-Fi Surveys
Utilising our fully accredited Wi-Fi analysis software, we will visit your location to conduct an exhaustive Wi-Fi assessment. This includes measuring signal intensity, data transmission rates, channel overlaps, potential sources of disruption, and much more.
This collected data aids our proficient engineers in pinpointing the high-performing and underperforming aspects of your current Wi-Fi setup. You will be given a comprehensive report outlining the position of access points and the extent of their coverage.
Equipped with detailed site-specific data, our expert engineers can then determine the optimal placement for access points to achieve the best balance between internet speed and minimal interference. We will conceive a complete, secure Wi-Fi solution tailored to not only meet your current needs but also accommodate future demands.
All our Wi-Fi installations and improvements are safeguarded by state-of-the-art security encryption protocols, ensuring adherence to security regulations and giving you absolute confidence in your network’s safety.
If you’re looking to upgrade your existing Wi-Fi and internet connectivity system, contact us today.